In this episode of The Chattanooga Business Podcast, Brian Chaney talks to David Martin of Heed PR about the inspiration and decision behind launching his own business with his wife and co-founder, Natalie Martin. David hits on his experience at Bellhops, when he felt like it was the right time to start his own business, and balancing the day-to-day operations with his wife, Natalie.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Inspiration for launching his own business
- Natalie Martin, his wife and co-founder of Heed PR
- How they balance their work and home life
- Laying out your goals
- Abundance mindset
- Target clients
- Difference between marketing and PR
- “When you step out and you say, I’m going to give up this constant paycheck and I’m going to be responsible for paying myself now, there’s a great risk involved in that” – David
- “The unifying theme that runs throughout all of [their clients] is that they have all realized that they need to keep constant pressure on the pedal of their public facing persona for their business.” – David
- “Most marketing is focusing on the ‘what’ you have, and PR focuses on the ‘why.’” – David
- “Broaden the types of information you consume. If you limit the scope of the kinds of content and information you are consuming you are limiting the inspiration you have to push information out.” – David
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Storybrand by Donald Miller
- The Wall Street Journal [https://www.wsj.com/]
Contact our Guest
- David Martin, Heed PR
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeedPR/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/heedpr/
- Website: http://www.heedpr.com
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our social media channels and in our comments section. Let us know your questions and what you thought!
Interested in promoting your business?
Are you a business owner with a story to tell? We’d love to chat and have you on our next show! Contact us by clicking here to make sure we’re a good fit and we’ll set up a time for your interview!
Interested in coming on the show?
We would love to hear about your story, your business, and any advice you'd like to share along the way.