In this episode of The Chattanooga Business Podcast, Brian Chaney talks to Cara Hicks, founder of the nonprofit The MOMentum Network. Being a single mom in college, Cara never got the support she needed and hopes to give that to single moms today, encouraging them to pursue an education and a better life.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Cara’s passion behind this nonprofit
- Struggles that come with running a nonprofit
- Making the best out of a bad or unplanned situation
- Empowering single moms and families through a support system
- Embracing the crazy and taking risks
- “I was thinking about these needs in [our] community and I felt like I needed to do something.” – Cara
- “ As a single mom, there were so many risks I had to take. I lived in almost survival mode for a while and things would come up so you have to ask for help and you have to take risks. That experience, however hard it was, I feel really prepared me to move into this experience ” – Cara
- “Being a single mom doesn’t define you but it can refine you.” – Cara
- “You can embrace the crazy or you can run from it…when you embrace it, it becomes an adventure rather than an adversity.” – Cara
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- The Next Right Thing by Emily P. Freeman [https://www.amazon.com/Next-Right-Thing-Practice-Decisions/dp/0800736524]
- The Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast [https://www.life.church/leadershippodcast/]
- It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way [https://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Supposed-This-Disappointments/dp/0718039858]
Contact our Guest
- Website: https://www.momentumnetwork.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheMomentumNet/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/themomentumnet/
- Address: 650 McCallie Ave Chattanooga, TN 37403
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our social media channels and in our comments section. Let us know your questions and what you thought!
Interested in promoting your business?
Are you a business owner with a story to tell? We’d love to chat and have you on our next show! Contact us by clicking here to make sure we’re a good fit and we’ll set up a time for your interview!
Interested in coming on the show?
We would love to hear about your story, your business, and any advice you'd like to share along the way.