In this episode of The Chattanooga Business Podcast, Brian Chaney talks to David Powell, co-owner of the Southeast Lineman Training Center located in Trenton, Georgia. David shares his story of getting to where he is now, the hiccups and growth along the way, and how important it is to focus on the details when marketing.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Following an unknown path
- Finding the right job
- The Lineman Training Center
- The Trenton community
- Scaling the business from the ground up
- Building a great team
- Importance of different roles
- “If we can take out all of the potential roadblocks we can get these students to commit to coming to school.” (15:32)
- “As your business grows, there are going to be some that grow with you and there are going to be some that don’t.” (23:33)
- “If you have an individual or employee that you don’t feel is at that level, I think being honest with them is the most important..not trying to drag them along and not trying to make them think that everything’s okay but just to let them know where they stand.” (26:27)
- “A good manager wants to hire people that are not going to be better than them. A great manager is going to hire people that are better than them, who are going to make them look good.” (28:42)
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- The Obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph [https://www.amazon.com/Obstacle-Way-Timeless-Turning-Triumph/dp/1591846358]
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike [https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-Dog-Memoir-Creator-Nike/dp/1501135929/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=]
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds [https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-Master-Your/dp/1544512287]
Contact our Guest
- Website: https://www.lineworker.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidvernonpowell
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/davidvpowell/
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our social media channels and in our comments section. Let us know your questions and what you thought!
Interested in promoting your business?
Are you a business owner with a story to tell? We’d love to chat and have you on our next show! Contact us by clicking here to make sure we’re a good fit and we’ll set up a time for your interview!
Interested in coming on the show?
We would love to hear about your story, your business, and any advice you'd like to share along the way.